Sunday, September 26, 2010

Go For It...

My husband and I donned our leathers Saturday, along with 2,000 other bikers, for Fox 43’s Pride and Ride annual event. Our mighty force thundered across 50-miles of rural backcountry in York and Adams County.  People lined the streets of small suburban towns to watch us journey through their townships like a giant, roaring parade.  The winding roads took us over rolling hills where golden cornfields are ready for harvest, orange pumpkins dot the landscape, and roadside stands sell natures bounty.  I love riding.  Being on my Harley relaxes and refreshes me.  However, I can still remember how scared I was when I first learned to ride. My husband referred to our excursions out of our driveway as “the trips of terror.”

Eight years ago, I had absolutely no skills or ability when it came to riding a motorcycle.  I remember the anguish of going to the classes, the discomfort of suiting up in the heat, sweating under my helmet, and going through the course hurdles. Learning to control a 250 Honda and taking it out of first gear was my worst nightmare. After each class, I vowed I was going to quit.  Yet, there was a small part of me that wanted to overcome this fear and do something totally different and outside my comfort zone.  So, I continued.

I can still see myself, in the early days, making a wide left turn and going off road into a ditch, and on the same day stalling in the middle of a busy intersection. My face still turns red when I remember the embarrassment of dropping my new 2003 Heritage Soft Tail in Deadwood, South Dakota, at my first Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. I vividly remember the anxiety of holding the clutch with an aching left hand on a steep incline and rolling backward into the cars that were lined up for miles behind me.

However, I endured the test. My confidence grew as I rode longer distances and skill and ability replaced my fear. Since then I have put about 45,000 miles on my bike. Perseverance has rewarded me with great rides all over the country.

I learned if you want something bad enough you go for it.  You make sacrifices.  Face your fears. Overcome obstacles.  Press in.  Push through.  Don’t stop.  God calls us to persevere in faith.  He wants us to face all of life’s challenges with tenacity, drive, and enthusiasm. 

       We need to hold tight when we want to quit. 
       Pray hard when there seems to be no answer.
       Get back up when we fail. 
       Hope for the best when all seems lost. 
       Rejoice when we go through periods of suffering.
      
       Check out this great video I found on youtube.

“Do not throw away your confidence: it will be richly rewarded.  You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised.”  Hebrews 10: 35-36

No comments:

Post a Comment