Monday, January 10, 2011

Reach for the Prize


Forget what lies behind. I love January. It’s time for our yearly do-over list. The idea of another chance empowers me to reach for the stars. Who doesn’t like to imagine what it would be like to really accomplish their personal goals and get everything right for a change. I made my resolutions, along with the rest of the world, and predictably, my top priorities fell right in line with most people.

I intend to spend quality time with family, lose that same 20 pounds, get out of debt, get more involved, finish my novel, go on a mission’s trip….you get the picture. I really wish God would wave a magic wand over my life and make everything fall into place just as I command.

As I prayed about this whole New Year’s thing, I felt convicted to pay more attention to what God has actually called me to do and accomplish for His Kingdom as the year plays out. Like…be obedient to His leading even when it interferes with my workout, or my writing, or my multitude of plans. I seem to have a long list of demands I expect God to help me achieve.

Reach forward to what lies ahead. I’ve decided to alter my list and deliberately seek God’s priorities. Instead of taking my side excursions into the Land of Hopes and Dreams, I think I’ll try it God’s way, and walk into the Promised Land. I hope that when the ball drops to ring in 2012, I will have accomplished something that will bring me closer to His purpose and that stubborn 20 pounds won’t feel so heavy after all.





Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: Forgetting what lies behind, reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3: 13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment